You are here: Home Timber Floor information
Kempas is also a species of hardwood native to Malaysia and Indonesia
GENUINE FRENCH OAK – WIDE BOARD PLANKS & PARQUET
Thrust Floors works closely with like-minded people in respectful using and crafting of Genuine French Oak from selected mills in France’s sustainably managed forests, complimenting our ethical forest management ideology.
On these pages we will show you some of the rich variety of Australian timbers. Read about the origin and history of Australian Timbers and timber merchants.
Blackbutt grows in the coastal forests of New South Wales from Bega on the south coast up to Maryborough in Queensland.
The town of Blackbutt occupies part of what was once Taromeo run. Simon Scott who had come to Australia two years earlier and had overlanded several thousand sheep to Cressbrook in the Brisbane Valley during the previous year. Because this part of the run was covered by dense scrub, it was of no use to the graziers, and in 1889 the owners of the time voluntarily surrendered it. The government then threw it open for closer settlement. The area was known simply as the Blackbutt Forest, and the name Blackbutt came to be adopted for a township which started to spring up there around the turn of the century. At first the name referred to the settlement now called Benarkin, but then it came to be applied to the town which now bears the name. The establishment of a timber industry from 1903 saw it grown rapidly. The name of Blackbutt was officially bestowed on the town of that name in 1909 by Surveyor Munro. Blackbutt is a species of eucalyptus, Eucalyptus pilularis, which gets its common name from the rough, dark-coloured bark which remains well up the trunk.
Read more here http://www.australiaforeveryone.com.au/qld_names3.htm
Avonsleigh is 47 km east from Melbourne's central business district. The Post Office opened as Koenig's in 1902, was renamed Avonsleigh in 1911 and closed in 1985. Avonsleigh was first known as East Emerald. Its current name arose from Avonsleigh guest house, close to the Wright stopping place on the Belgrave to Gembrook railway line (now the "Puffing Billy" scenic railway). J.W. Wright was the owner of the guest house. Until the second world war Avonsleigh was mainly occupied for timber production, but clearance for agricultural land occurred in the post war years. By the 1980s residential subdivisions along major roads occurred and a township of several shops developed.
In the steep foothills of the Dandenong Ranges, 48 kilometres east of central Melbourne, lies the township of Cockatoo. In the 1850s, prospectors searching for gold bestowed the name Cockatoo Creek, supposedly because of large numbers of cockatoos there. When land was selected in the 1870s, the name was retained. The country was mountainous and heavily timbered, making clearing difficult. A store was opened in 1895 to serve the scattered community.
In the late 1890s, a narrow gauge railway was constructed from Ferntree Gully, thirty four kilometres east of Melbourne, to Gembrook, a further six kilometres east of Cockatoo. Three sawmills were soon established in the Cockatoo area, transporting their timber out by rail. The Belfry Mill built a wooden tramline to the Cockatoo railway siding. Around the turn of the century, the locality was known as Devon. In July 1901, the original name, Cockatoo Creek, was restored, due to pressure from local residents. The Railways Department shortened this to Cockatoo and it gradually came into general use.
Dandenong is situated 31 kilometres south-east of Melbourne on the outskirts of the city. The name is thought to be a corruption of an Aboriginal word meaning lofty mountains, and referred to the ranges which overlook the area. The country is flat to undulating and was originally densely forested with red gum.
Joseph Hawdon established a pastoral run on Dandenong Creek in 1837, overlanding the cattle from Sydney. Soon a few timber cutters and a police camp were also located there. By 1850, the whole area had been taken up for grazing. Dandenong Creek was first bridged in 1840. A road was made from Melbourne, making Dandenong, by the late 1850s, an important staging post for travellers into Gippsland. It became known as the 'gateway to Gippsland'. A township was surveyed in 1852. Milling of the red gum timber became an important industry, and charcoal burning, tanning, quarrying and brick making also flourished. A stock market was established in 1866. By 1861, there were 40 houses in the township housing 193 people. Dandenong Shire was proclaimed in 1873. The Australian Handbook records the progress of the town by 1875.
Ringwood is a residential suburb 23 km. east of Melbourne, situated on the Maroondah Highway. The precursor of the Maroondah Highway was the track to the Gippsland and Upper Goulburn gold fields, via Lilydale, and before that the track to Gippsland's pastoral runs. A Log Cabin Inn was opened in 1850 for travellers at the future site of Ringwood. Timber getters and paling splitters were the first occupants of the district.
The Parish of Ringwood was surveyed and named by the early 1860s. The origin of the name is uncertain, the likely derivation being from Ringwood in the New Forest, Hampshire, England. In 1864 the Parish was brought within the Berwick Roads District, but transferred to the Upper Yarra Roads District a few years later. In 1872 when the Roads District was made a shire, Ringwood was part of Lillydale shire.
In addition to timber and farming pursuits, antimony mining began at Ringwood. A large mine occupied the site of the future civic offices and was operated until 1892.
Read more here http://www.australiaforeveryone.com.au/vic_names4.htm
Parliament House: iconic seat of Australian Government
As the home of the Parliament and the seat of Government, this building has a significance to Australians unique among buildings in Australia which is quite independent of its considerable architectural, aesthetic and townscape value. The buildings design and siting on the land axis creates a strong visual relationship and a linkage between the historic War Memorial and Provisional Parliament House. It is pre-eminently sited on Capital Hill at the focus of Walter Burley Griffin's 1912 plan for Canberra and the Parliamentary Triangle. The building design re-states the original profile of the hill and its curved walls reach out to encompass the radial avenues established by the 1912 Griffin plan as the primary axes of the city. The building is the result of a design competition with 329 entries for Australia's foremost public building and won in 1980 by Mitchell/Giurgola and Thorp Architecture. Completed and dedicated to mark Australia's Bicentennial year, 1988. Various timbers from around Australia have been used in the interior design, the building hosts numerous pieces of Australian art and craft. Large areas of the house are open for public inspection every day, during normal business hours.
Read more here http://www.australiaforeveryone.com.au/attractions_act.htm
The Gneering was an old sailing ship formerly the Granite City used by the timber merchant, William Pettigrew, to carry timber from coastal areas to his mill in Brisbane.
Johann and Catherine Dohle migrated from Prussia, 1863, and set up a timber business at Breakfast Creek. Much of the timber came from the Pine River area, and in 1903 they took up residence on land there purchased from Tom Petrie. In time, his sons, Henry and Johann Jnr, took over the business. They harnessed the power of the wind to drive a saw for cutting timber. They transferred their boat building activities to Dohle's Rocks as well. Later they went into growing sugarcane, pineapples and vegetables together with dairying.
The name has its origin in the Aboriginal Dhu-Yungathin meaning trees swim., and came from the period when James Low had a timber depot there, 1867. There was a time when the name was spelt with an 'm' - Dunethim, but in the 1970s it came to be spelt officially as Dunethin.
In its original Aboriginal usage, locals claim kulpi was used for charred logs, but the Queensland Railways says that the name refers to timber from the box tree. It was given this name when the railway came through. The positioning of the railway meant the demise of the nearby township of Evergreen
Read more about above here http://www.australiaforeveryone.com.au/qld_names5.htm
NORTHCLIFFE, WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Shoreham is located in the southern Mornington Peninsula region on the Western Port. Its Local Government Area is the Shire of Mornington Peninsula. It is a coastal recreation resort notable for its pine-covered cliffs and foreshore reserve. At the 2001 census, Shoreham had a population of 984. Shoreham began as a port for timber exports from the surrounding area. Early reports of the area suggested the region was "thick with honeysuckle and sheoak" and early settlers in the Balnarring and Hastings region were involved in wattle bark stripping and cutting piles and sleepers for shipping to Melbourne via the town. Shoreham Post Office opened in October 1881.
Read more here http://www.australiaforeveryone.com.au/vic_names4.htm
An historic mountain timber town which was once the highest point on the Moe to Walhalla narrow gauge railway. With a strong timber history, one of its former timber mills - Micha's Mill - still operates. The King of the Mountain Wood Chop is held every Australia Day in January.
Brief history: The area was generally known as Upper Moondarra in the early 1900s, the township of Erica beginning to grow after construction of the railway line from Moe to Walhalla, which passed through the area. When the station opened in 1910 it was named Harris, but had been renamed Erica after a nearby mountain by 1914. As a consequence, the Post Office opened on 14 July 1910 as Upper Moondarra and was renamed Erica in 1914.
The township of Erica survived mainly on forestry and agriculture, and after Walhalla's decline by the 1920s it became the largest town on the Moe-Walhalla railway. The section of line past Erica closed to traffic in 1944, save for occasional goods services to Platina station, and the line from Moe to Erica closed completely in 1954.
Erica still maintains agricultural and timber industry connections, as well as being a service town for numerous local tourist destinations such as the Thomson Dam, the Walhalla Goldfields Railway, Mount Baw Baw and Mount Saint Gwinear.
Australian Timber Species
QLD SPOTTED GUM
RED IRON BARK
CELERY TOP PINE
Below you will find many international timbers, which are also used in timber and parquetry flooring: AMERICAN BLACK WALNUT Black Walnut or Juglans nigra is a species of flowering tree native to eastern North America AMERICAN BLACK CHERRY CANADIAN ROCK MAPLE
Acer saccharum (Sugar Maple) is a species of maple native to the hardwood forests of northeastern North America, from Nova Scotia west to southern Ontario, and south to Georgia and Texas. Sugar maple is best known for its bright fall foliage and for being the primary source of maple syrup.
SCANDANAVIAN MAPLENORDIC BIRCH
Betula pendula (silver birch) is a widespread European birch, though in southern Europe it is only found at higher altitudes. Its range extends into southwest Asia in the mountains of northern Turkey and the Caucasus. The closely related Betula platyphylla in northern Asia and Betula szechuanica of central Asia are also treated as varieties of silver birch by some botanists, as B. pendula var. platyphylla and B. pendula var. szechuanica respectively (see birch classification).
Beech (Fagus) is a genus of ten species of deciduous trees in the family Fagaceae, native to temperate Europe, Asia and North America. F. sylvatica is the most commonly cultivated, although there are few important differences between species aside from detail elements such as leaf shape. Beeches may get to as tall as 27 meters and 18 meters in width, although usually much smaller.
The southern beeches (Nothofagus genus) previously thought closely related to beeches, are now treated as members of a separate family, Nothofagaceae. They are found in Australia, New Zealand, New Guinea, New Caledonia, Argentina and Chile (principally Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego).
EUROPEAN OAK ENGLISH OAK
Quercus robur (sometimes considered Q. pedunculata or "Q. robur") is commonly known as the English oak or pedunculate oak or French oak. It is native to most of Europe, and to Anatolia to the Caucasus, and also to parts of North Africa.
AMERICAN WHITE OAK EUROPEAN ASH
Fraxinus excelsior — known as the ash, or European ash or common ash to distinguish it from other types of ash — is a species of Fraxinus native to most of Europe with the exception of northern Scandinavia and southern Iberia, and also southwestern Asia from northern Turkey east to the Caucasus and Alborz mountains. The northernmost location is in the Trondheimsfjord region of Norway.
Alnus glutinosa (English: black alder, European alder or common alder) is a species of alder in the family Betulaceae, native to most of Europe, including all of the British Isles and Fennoscandia and locally in southwest Asia.
Pines are trees in the genus Pinus in the family Pinaceae. They make up the monotypic subfamily Pinoideae. There are about 115 species of pine, although different authorities accept between 105 and 125 species.
WHITE TULIP OAK PAR MARFIMPEROBA DOURADASAPELE MAHOGANY
Entandrophragma cylindricum, commonly known as the sapele, is a large tree native to tropical Africa. The tree is also known as sapelli or aboudikro. There are protected populations and felling restrictions in place in various countries.
UGER BERRY NORTHERN BOX LEPA CHOCE BREU VAMAKORE http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidney_Harman_Hall
The walls of the theater are panels of makore, an African wood, and behind the panels are retractable velour curtains, which can be raised to alter the acoustics of the room.
Millettia laurentii is a legume tree native to the Republic of Congo, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Cameroon, Gabon and Equatorial Guinea. The species is listed as endangered in the IUCN Red List: Category EN A1cd, principally due to destruction of its habitat and over-exploitation for timber. Wenge, a dark colored wood, is the product ofMillettia laurentii. Other names sometimes used for wenge include African Rosewood, Congolese Rosewood, Faux Ebony, Dikela, Mibotu, Bokonge and Awong. The wood's distinctive color is standardized as a "wenge" color in many systems.
The olive Olea europaea, meaning "Oil from/of Europe") is a species of small tree in the family Oleaceae, native to the coastal areas of the eastern Mediterranean Basin (the adjoining coastal areas of southeastern Europe, western Asia and northern Africa) as well as northern Iraq, and northern Iran at the south end of the Caspian Sea.
Milicia is a small genus of tropical African trees. There are two recognized species, which are closely related: Milicia excelsa and Milicia regia.. These trees yield a durable wood, iroko.
Teak is the common name for the tropical hardwood tree species Tectona grandis and its wood products. Tectona grandis is native to south and southeast Asia, mainly India, Indonesia, Malaysia, and Burma, but is naturalized and cultivated in many countries, including those in Africa and the Caribbean. Burma accounts for nearly one third of the world's total teak production. It is also recognized as the national tree of Indonesia.
Hevea brasiliensis, the Pará rubber tree, often simply called rubber tree, is a tree belonging to the family Euphorbiaceae, and the most economically important member of the genus Hevea. It is of major economic importance because its sap-like extract (known as latex) is the primary source of natural rubber.
Intsia bijuga is a species of flowering tree in the pea family, Fabaceae, native to the Indo-Pacific. It ranges from Tanzania and Madagascar east through India and Queensland, Australia to the Pacific island of Samoa. It grows to around 50 meters (160 feet) tall with a highly buttressed trunk. It inhabits mangrove forests.
The tree has a variety of common names including ipil, merbau and kwila. In the Philippines, it also known in some areas as taal.
Kempas is also a species of hardwood native to Malaysia and Indonesia
Commercially, “Total Bond” Wood Mosaic opens an almost limitless range of possibilities for use in parquetry flooring.
It is ideal for Shopping Centres, Dance Floors, Motor Vehicle and similar Showrooms, Offices, Shops, Schools, Colleges, Play Centres, Child Minding, Handicapped Children’s Areas, Banks, Theatres, Restaurants and Universities. It is of course the playing surface for our range of “AIR-THRUST” Pneumatic Sports Hall Floor Systems.
“Total Bond” Wood Mosaic can be treated with a wide range of surface finishes which provide minimum maintenance and exceptional longevity. When used commercially, it is wise to install mat wells, fitted with Electrostatic Dust Control Mats immediately inside external doorways. This simple precaution prevents mud and slush being walked into the building and onto parquet, treatment which does not enhance the appearance of any floor.
The inclusion of these sometimes “insignificant” items does much to provide facilities that are “well designed” to cater for years of wear and tear, minimum maintenance and retain handsome natural beauty.